A taekwondo expert who helped feahterweight champion Conor McGregor prepare for his 2015 win over Dennis Siver is currently begging for forgiveness after allegedly killing a 57-year-old Dublin man on the streets during the early hours of March 5.

Jonathan Dargan, a Dublin professional MMA fighter, is accused of punching 57-year-old Paddy Mulally at approximately 3:30 a.m. on March 5 after Mulally tried to intervene between Dargan and his girlfriend as they fought about Dargan’s decision to drive home after they had been drinking since 8 p.m. the previous evening. A former Guinness employee, Mulally had just celebrated his retirement and decided to stop for a drink at Peggy Kelly’s in Harold’s Cross when he spotted Dargan and his girlfriend in the parking lot.

He was struck by a punch and died from hitting his head. In response, Dargan appears heartbroken when discussing the incident with Independent.IE, apologizing profusely to Mulally’s family for what he called a genuine mistake:

“I’m so sorry. It was an accident. I’m devastated and heartbroken for that man and his family. All I can say is I’m crushed,” said Dargan.
“If I could take back everything that happened that night I would, but all I can do is beg his family for their forgiveness. It was a genuine mistake.”

The article also stated that Dargan had no recollection of the encounter and went to his job the next day as if nothing had happened. The accused and guilt-ridden martial artist had no prior arrests and was not known as a serious drinker, but it was thought that he had become emotional when someone reminded him of the still-open court case where his mother was fatally shot and his sister was wounded two years prior.

The article went on to describe the muddy details of the situation with one source saying that Dargan had been out with his girlfriend at an Adele concert and intended on leaving his car, but got into it in the early morning hours, and that was when the fight was refueled:

“His girlfriend had been pleading with him not to drive but he was too far gone to listen. It was 3.30am and Jonathan had been drinking since 8pm,” the source said.

“He pulled over in Harold’s Cross and she got out of the car. He went back to try and convince her to get back into the car and found her at a bus stop, and the argument started again.”

The source also revealed that Dargan was allegedly approached by a man on a bicycle, who questioned what was happening before two other individual supposedly became involved.

Dargan allegedly cursed at the bicycle rider before hitting the second man and was grabbed by a third party who tried to drag him away from the encounter. He then believed that he wrestled free of that person’s grip and hit Mulally before getting back into his vehicle with his girlfriend.

The Irish police contacted Dargan about the fight when he drove home after work the next night, telling him that they were on the lookout for silver cars that were out the night before. It was at that point that Dargan told the gardai he believed that he was the man they were looking for. He was taken to Tenenure Garda Station and questioned, but no charges were formally filed.

A file has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions.