Photo: Mark J. Rebilas for USA TODAY Sports

We’ve seen this one before. Conor McGregor supposedly ‘retired’ in 2016 before coming back to rematch Nate Diaz that summer. Now, McGregor says he’s retired from mixed martial arts (MMA) again.

McGregor claimed as much in a tweet released in the early morning hours today. In it, he claimed he was going off to join his ‘former partners’:

Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as “Mixed Martial Art” today.
I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition.
I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.
Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!

We’ll have to wait and see if this so-called ‘retirement’ sticks. That would be much more likely to happen now than two years ago. McGregor has earned an obscene amount of money since then. He was also dominated by Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 last year. He hasn’t seemed all that interested in fighting since.

Just hours before he made this announcement, however, he appeared on “The Tonight Show” with Jimmy Fallon. There, he said he was negotiating a July return to the UFC. That’s been the rumor surrounding McGregor for a few weeks now.

The UFC wanted his reported bout with Donald Cerrone to be a co-main event. The fight fell through as a result. McGregor said he would co-headline if the UFC gave him his fair share of the company.

Perhaps this ‘quick announcement’ has something to do with that and is a leverage tactic. Based on his Proper Twelve Irish Whiskey sales, he doesn’t have to fight.

One thing is certain: Tuesday just got a lot more interesting. Stay tuned.