Welterweight Division Update- How much longer will GSP Reign?Posted on May 9, 2013, 09:15 AM by enjoylife321
GSP recently made comments on the Joe Rogan Experience revealing “I don't do much cutting…"It would be easier for me to go fight at 155 than fighting at 185. I would be more at my weight naturally at 155."
Johny Hendricks, who has deservedly earned his shot at GSP, now anxiously await confirmation that he will be the next to fight GSP.
While many fans would love to see GSP in a super fight with Anderson Silva, this is definitely not a welcome proposition for Johny Hendricks.
There is also a huge line up of talented fighters within the welterweight division edging closer towards title contention. Listed below is a breakdown of some of the top fighters in the division, where they currently stand in the win column, and their next opponents.
Welterweight Fighters on the Rise
1. Johny Hendricks -6 straight wins (next title shot unconfirmed) 29 years of age
4.Tarec Saffiedine-4 straight wins (26 years of age) (Strikeforce product) (Tarec lost to Tyron Woodley in 2011 due to effective takedowns and clinch work) Tarec will be making his UFC debut against heavy handed veteran Robbie Lawler at UFC on Fox 8.
5. Demian Maia-3 straight wins (35 years of age). According to Ariel Helwani, Maia was looking for a fight against Nick Diaz in Brazil. Demian is now rumoured to be fighting Josh Koscheck in Brazil at UFC 163.
6. John Hathaway-3 straight wins (25 years of age).
10. Tyron Woodley (31 years of age) (Strikeforce product) Faces Jake Shields next at UFC 161 (promising talent) strong wrestling pedigree. Only loss on record to Nate Marquardt. NCAA Division I All-American (2003, 2005). Scored a 1st round KO in UFC Debut.
15. Dan Hardy (30 years of age) (won his last two fights) Serious concerns over his health after being diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Future is in limbo as he waits for second medical opinion (as reported by mmajunkie.com).
16. Robbie Lawler-(31 years of age) Veteran who has blasted into the welterweight division with a massive KO of Josh Koscheck at UFC 157. Next fight against Tarec Saffiedine FOX 8 card. Some fans have called for a rematch with Nick Diaz who spectacularly knocked Robbie Lawler out at UFC 47.
WELTERWEIGHT FIGHTERS IN NEED OF A WIN
1. BJ Penn-–(34 years of age) 3 straight losses –Retirement?
3. Nate Marquardt-(34 years of age) 2 straight losses last fight lost by TKO
4. Carlos Condit- (29 years of age) 2 straight losses by decisions
5. Nick Diaz-(29 years of age) 2 straight losses by decision
10. Martin Kampmann-(31 years of age) lost his last fight by KO to Johnny H.
11.Amir Sadollah-(32 years of age) coming off a loss to Dan Hardy.
12. Stephen"Wonderboy" Thompson (30 years of age) coming off a loss to Matt Brown
As fans of the sport, who are you most impressed with in the welterweight division behind Johny Hendricks that you see as a serious threat? What matchups would you also like to see?