It appears as if Nate Diaz will once again have to fight Conor McGregor without his brother, former WEC and former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz, in his corner. When Nate and McGregor first did battle back at March 5’s UFC 196, Nick, the elder of the two, was serving out an 18-month suspension handed to him by the Nevada State Athletic Commission after he tested positive for Marijuana metabolites surrounding his January 2015 bout with Anderson Silva.
That suspension ended earlier this month on August 1, 2016 which should allow Nick to corner Nate at this weekend’s (August 20, 2016) UFC 202 in Las Vegas, but Nate said on last night’s (August 17, 2016) edition of UFC Tonight that there were still some ‘technical difficulties’ regarding Nick’s ability to corner him.
According to a report from FOX Sports, Nick is prohibited from cornering Nate due to the fact that he’s actually still suspended. Apparently, the Stockton native failed to pay the fine that was included with his suspension:
“As of this date Nick Diaz is not permitted to work the corner of his brother Nate because he is still suspended,” NSAC Executive Director Bob Bennett said.
“I contacted the UFC two-to-three weeks ago regarding Nevada Administrative Code 467 in an effort to clarify and confirm the conditions that would allow Nick to work Nate’s corner. The Nevada State Athletic Commission made a concerted effort to keep everyone involved in the fight regarding our Codes as we thought Nate would request his brother to work his corner. Additionally, we provided them information as to who to contact at the Attorney General’s Office in an effort for Nick to be in compliance with his written settlement/agreement. I was informed by the UFC they contacted Nick and/or his manager and advised them what our regulations require to accommodate the possible request.”
Bennet also confirmed that until Diaz pays his balance, he will remain suspended:
“Although the term of Mr. Diaz’s suspension expired on August 1, 2016, he remains on suspension pursuant to term 1.03 of his Settlement Agreement because he has failed to either pay his fine in full (his balance is $75,000) or enter into an approved payment plan,” Bennett said.
“As such, the prohibitions of NAC 467.895 apply to Mr. Diaz at this time.”
Not only is Nick not allowed to corner Nate, but he’s also not allowed to be in Nate’s locker room prior to the fight, nor is he allowed to sit in the first six rows surrounding the Octagon meaning that he will have no communication with his younger brother during arguably the biggest fight of the year.
What do you make of this situation?