After scoring back to back first round knockout victories over the likes of Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva and Frank Mir, legendary heavyweight striker Mark “The Super Samoan” Hunt has his eyes set on a big time fight:
“Any of them is fine,” Hunt said Monday on The MMA Hour. “Any of the top-five guys would be fine.”
Despite being 41 years of age, Hunt proved that he still has some pop left in his hands, scoring another of his patented walk off knockouts just last week (March 19, 2016) over the former champion in Mir.
The heavyweight division is almost completely booked up at this time in terms of top contenders which could be a problem for Hunt, as “The Super Samoan” is looking to get right back into the thick of things.
Perhaps a marquee matchup at this summer’s UFC 200 would fit the bill, but Hunt also said that he’d be ready to step in on short notice if any heavyweight bouts were to fall apart:
“If someone pulls out, I’d rather fight sooner,” Hunt said. “So if someone pulls out, I’m your man. Give me a call.”
Despite his recent run of success over the last few years inside of the Octagon, Hunt has suffered a few crucial defeats, all coming at the hands of some of the best heavyweights in the world including reigning champion Fabricio Werdum, current title challenger Stipe Miocic, and former divisional kingpin Junior dos Santos.
“The Super Samoan” has never lost in a rematch, and would happily accept a bout with any of those men. In fact, he even admitted that his loss to Miocic taught him a dire lesson regarding fight preparation:
“I want my rematch with those guys,” Hunt said. “That fight with Stipe taught me a big lesson there, never to be so much over weight before the fight. It was a problem. So I won’t be doing that again.”
Who would you like to see the heavy handed Hunt take on next? If you enjoyed this story, please share it on social media!