Jose Aldo Warns Frankie Edgar About Standing With Him: You Will Go Down

Photo courtesy of UFC.com
Spread the word!

Despite being shockingly knocked out by Conor McGregor at last December’s UFC 194, former champion Jose Aldo will be always be remembered for putting together one of the very best title runs in not only promotional history, but sport history as well.

Despite his illustrious reign, however, Aldo has been criticized for his performances inside of the Octagon, as some feel as if he had repeatedly coasted to decision victories rather than shooting for the finish like he had done so many times prior to joining the UFC.

Back in his WEC days, for example, “Scarface” was a killer inside of the cage. Now looking to bounce back after a disappointing loss, Aldo claims that he has once again found that fire:

“That hunger, everything I felt in the WEC days, is all back, and I want to do it again,” Aldo told MMAjunkie.

Aldo will get his chance to rebound in the co-main event of July 9’s blockbuster UFC 200 card from Las Vegas, Nevada. The former champion will rematch ex-lightweight boss Frankie “The Answer” Edgar with the interim 145-pound strap hanging in the balance.

When the two previously met at UFC 156, Aldo walked away with a decision victory, although Edgar did have some success. Since then, “The Answer” has gone on a tear, winning five-straight bouts with three of those victories coming by way of finish.

Aldo then gave his assessment on the upcoming bout, praising Edgar’s wrestling skills, but warning the New Jersey native not to stand with him:

“(Wrestling is) his strongpoint,” Aldo said. “That’s his strength, and it’s what he’s going to try to do. There’s no way. If he stands with me, he’s going to go down.

“In my mind, I still haven’t lost the belt. Obviously, this is another step, and by beating Frankie Edgar I’ll get the belt back.”

Will the Brazilian be able to get back to his winning ways this summer, or have we seen the last of Aldo’s dominance?