As 2016 rolls on, more and more people keep saying that former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre will return to MMA this year.
St-Pierre has talked about coming back to MMA since retiring but has not done so yet. He decided to take a break from MMA following his split-decision victory over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167. St-Pierre did a six-week training camp in late 2015. Once that camp was over, he would decide if he is able to comeback to MMA at the age of 34. “GSP” never made an announcement.
We noted earlier on the site that St-Pierre was sitting front row at UFC 196, and this led to speculation that he could be returning to the UFC. UFC President Dana White later confirmed that he has talked with “GSP” but did not give any insight into a possible return of the MMA legend.
Renzo Gracie spoke with Ariel Helwani on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour and said that St-Pierre will return to MMA in 2016.
“He’s [St-Pierre is] coming back for sure,” Gracie said. “That boy, the best thing he does in life is fighting. Look for how long he’s been a champion. He overcame so many obstacles. Many people don’t know Georges would come from Canada, leave at 4, 4:30 in the morning, come to New York by bus, train the whole day and leave at night – this two, sometimes three times a week.
“A champion is not just born. He’s forged into it. And Georges has all the tools to become champion again, and for sure, he’s now 100 percent healthy. I saw him, he’s in unbelievable shape, and for sure he will be announcing soon to be back in the game.”
When asked who he thinks GSP should fight when he returns, Gracie believes it should be the current welterweight champion, which is Robbie Lawler.
“Whoever is the champion I think [should be next for St-Pierre],” Gracie said. “He deserves it. He’s earned it, his life work [should give him] a straight shot to the champion, whoever it is.”