Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior “Cigano” Dos Santos will return to action after nearly a year on the sidelines when he meets Alistair “The Reem” Overeem in the co-main event of tomorrow’s (December 19, 2015) UFC on FOX 17 from Orlando, Florida.
The bout, which was originally scheduled a few years back, will feature a clash of heavyweight sluggers both of whom are gunning for a title shot.
Dos Santos recently said that he was hoping for the next shot at gold with a win over “The Demolition Man”, but he recently spoke on another Brazilian former champion in Jose Aldo.
Aldo recently put his title on the line for the eighth time against Irish superstar Conor McGregor in the main event of last week’s (December 12, 2015) UFC 194 from Las Vegas, Nevada.
After remaining unbeaten for 10 years, and serving as the UFC’s only featherweight champion, Aldo was shockingly knocked out in just 13 seconds by the “Notorious” one.
While “Scarface” was quick to express interest in a rematch, questions have surfaced as to whether or not he deserves one given the nature of his loss to McGregor.
According to Dos Santos, if fallen champions Cain Velasquez and Ronda Rousey receive rematches than Aldo should also, as he is the most deserving:
“I think that’s the most unfair thing ever,” Dos Santos said on a recent periscope session. “Because how can they give Cain Velasquez a rematch, how can they give Ronda Rousey a rematch, and they will not give Jose Aldo?”
“The one who most deserves a rematch, they’re not giving him this rematch. That’s unbelievable!”
While the fight with McGregor may have been short and brutal, Aldo’s resume does indeed speak for itself.
Does “Cigano” have a point here, or should “Scarface” work his way back up?