Bellator MMA and RIZIN FF will be coming together for a tremendous two-day mixed martial arts (MMA) event for New Year’s Eve.
However, on Thursday, RIZIN officials announced that Bellator and RIZIN bantamweight champion Kyoji Horiguchi has torn his ACL, as well as damaged his meniscus in his right knee. Horiguchi underwent successful surgery and is currently rehabbing in Florida.
As a result of his injury, Horiguchi’s fight with Kai Asakura, which was to headline the December 31 card on night two, has been called off. The new headliner has yet to be revealed. Horiguchi himself has released a statement, announcing that he wishes to revoke his status as RIZIN champion. (via Bloody Elbow)
“When I think about everybody who was looking forward to my fight on NYE I am lost in words and have an indescribable feeling of guilt for everybody,” Horiguchi said. “I am sorry. I am sorry to Kai Asakura, I am sorry to all the fans. I cannot describe how I feel in words.
“…I have felt some abnormities in my body from last year but I didn’t take these signs too seriously. I started to train again in October but failed to realize how much wear and tear my body has obtained. And my ligament in my knee snapped. This was all because I took my body’s warnings lightly.”
The updated cards can be found below.
December 29, 2019
- Fedor Emelianenko vs Quinton “Rampage” Jackson
- Michael Chandler vs Benson Henderson
- Lorenz Larkin vs Keita Nakamura
- Ilara Joanne vs Kana Watanabe
- Goiti Yamauchi vs Daron Cruickshank
- Andy Nguyen vs Ai Shimizu
- Ryuichiro Sumimura vs Jon Tuck
- Haruo Ochi vs Jarred Brooks
- Yusuke Yachi vs Hiroto Uesako
December 31, 2019
- Ayaka Hamasaki vs Seo Hee Ham [Atomweight title]
- Johnny Case vs Tofiq Musaev [One-night LWGP]
- Patricky “Pitbull” Freire vs Luiz Gustavo [One-night LWGP]
- Yuki Motoya vs Patrick Mix
- Mikuru Asakura vs John Macapa
What do you think about Horiguchi pulling from the NYE main event?