With no big-time fights on the horizon, a frustrated Dustin Poirier wondered why the UFC won’t just release him outright.
The 30-year-old UFC veteran voiced his displeasure via social media on Wednesday (Feb. 20, 2019).
Poirier confirmed that sentiment with MMAjunkie and went on to reveal that the UFC tried to book him against Al Iaquinta at UFC 236. However, he added that no official offer had been made by the UFC for the April 13 pay-per-view.
Iaquinta, who Tuesday told “UFC Unfiltered” that the UFC tried to book him opposite Poirier, was quick to respond to “The Diamond’s” tweet with one of his own.
Release me too— A1 Iaquinta🗽 (@ALIAQUINTA) February 20, 2019
Iaquinta said that the reason why the fight didn’t come together with Poirier was not surprisingly money.
“I hope the UFC can reach down into their pockets and make him happy to take the fight,” Iaquinta said. “Because from what I’ve been hearing, it’s going to be Conor (McGregor) and (Donald) ‘Cowboy” (Cerrone) in the summer, (and) Max Holloway is going to come up (from featherweight) to fight (Tony) Ferguson for an interim belt. So that leaves me and him.”
In January, Poirier demanded his next fight be a rematch with Conor McGregor, who defeated “The Diamond” almost five years ago. Just last week Poirier stated that he was “in the dark” regarding his future.
Stay posted to LowkickMMA, as we will have more on this evolving story.