Tonight (Sat. June 1, 2019) boxing’s heavyweight king Anthony Joshua (22-0, 21 KOs) makes his United States debut.
Joshua puts his IBF, WBA, and WBO heavyweight titles up for grabs against Andy Ruiz Jr. (32-1, 21 KOs). Initially, Joshua was scheduled to face off against Jarrell “Big Baby” Miller (23-0-1, 20 KOs), however, after Miller failed several drug tests, he was removed from the bout. Now, Joshua faces Ruiz Jr., who has only lost once in his boxing career heading into the fight.
That loss came to Joseph Parker (25-2, 19 KOs) via majority decision in 2016. Parker is the only man that Joshua was unable to finish inside the ring, taking the Englishman to the judges’ scorecards for the first and only time in his professional career.
Check out LowKickMMA’s coverage of Anthony Joshua vs. Andy Ruiz Jr., featuring two more great title fights on the card, below:
- IBF/WBA/WBO Heavyweight Titles: Andy Ruiz def. (C) Anthony Joshua via R7 TKO (1:27)
- WBA Super Middleweight Title: (C) Callum Smith def. Hassan N’Dam via R3 TKO (2:56)
- WBA/WBO/IBF/WBC Women’s Lightweight Unification: Katie Taylor def. Delfine Persoon via Majority Decision (95-95, 96-94, 96-94)
- Junior Welterweight: Chris Algieri def. Tommy Coyle via R8 TKO (corner stoppage)
- Welterweight: Josh Kelly vs. Ray Robinson ends in Majority Draw
- Light Heavyweight: Joshua Buatsi def. Marco Antonio Periban via R4 TKO (1:39)
- Junior Middleweight: Souleymane Cissokho def. Vladimir Hernandez via unanimous decision (80-72, 79-73, 79-73)
- Middleweight: Diego Pacheco vs. Jared Chauvin
- Middleweight: Austin Williams def. Quadeer Jenkins via R1 TKO (2:14)