Dana White On Nick Diaz: I Offered Him A Fight Last Week, But He's RetiredPosted on November 10, 2013, 07:31 AM by Buster Evans
Don’t be expecting to see Nick Diaz in the Octagon any time soon. Diaz’s last UFC appearance was back in March at UFC 158, in that fight Diaz lost a unanimous decision to Georges St-Pierre for the welterweight championship. After the fight with GSP, Diaz announced his retirement from the sport. Many people, including Dana White, never took Diaz’s retirement seriously and expected to see Diaz return to the cage.
According to UFC head White, Diaz for now is sticking to his retirement. White was speaking with MMAjunkie.com White told how he had offered the former Strikeforce champion a fight only a few days ago but the fight was declined by Diaz’s manager.
“I talked to his manager last week,” White said. “He is retired…. I was going to offer him a fight.”
White discussed his conversation with Diaz’s manager to a group of reporters after last night’s UFC Fight Night 32 event in Goiania, Goias, Brazil. When asked what fight was offered to Diaz, White replied with:
“I don’t remember,” he said with a smile.
Not too long ago Diaz was speaking to Fighters Only where he suggested he would get back into the cage if certain demands of his were met. Diaz had this to say:
“Well, we could negotiate, I am a pretty big draw. So we would have to negotiate a pretty decent amount of pay and a pretty decent amount from the pay-per-view.”
“Im talking like three to five dollars (per PPV unit sold), the same as these other important fighters are getting because I am out there putting on a show.”
Those are pretty hefty demands from the controversial fighter and for now it seems the UFC have failed to meet them. Diaz is still only 30 years old, he will have plenty of time to get back in the cage but for now the fighter will remain retired.
Outer Photo: Kelvin Kuo for USA TODAY Sports