It would be a bit of an understatement to say that Melvin Guillard was going through a torrid time lately. ‘The Young Assassin’ is 1-4 in his last five, riding a two fight losing skid and may have trouble finding a camp for his next fight.
Guillard confirmed his parting with The Blackzilians, with whom he had gone 1-3 in his last four, via Twitter earlier this week:
Im no longer a blackzillian I went back to where I belong Jackson’s:-):-):-):-):-)
— Melvin Guillard (@Young__Assassin) March 24, 2013
It would seem that Guillard’s smiley faces may have been premature, with MMAJunkie reporting that a source close to the Jackson camp said “He’s not allowed back here.”
This leads me to wonder whether Team Jackson’s response may stem from two alleged aggravated battery charges that Guillard is facing in Bernalillo County (N.M.). Guillard could potentially serve up to 12 months prison time.
It is a great shame as Guillard was once considered one of the top lightweights on the planet. Dana White recently spoke about the troubled knock out artist:
“I’ve known Melvin for a long time, since ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ and I always thought he was a very talented guy and just never lived up to his potential,” White said. “He was out there not doing all the right things to become the great fighter that he had the potential to be.”
I personally hope to see Guillard back again fighting in the UFC soon, but I suppose that hinges on his pending April trial, and whether he can find a training camp. Is Jackson’s treatment of Guillard fair? Surely everyone deserves a second chance right?