UFC on Versus 6: Cruz vs. Johnson Pre-Fight Press Conference HighlightsPosted on September 29, 2011, 01:41 PM by Joey Santosus
UFC Executive Reed Harris, alongside the majority of Saturday's main card competitors, were in attendance today at the Verizon Center in Washington D.C. for the UFC on Versus 6 Pre-Fight Press Conference. Headlining the stacked card will be a Bantamweight title clash between division Champion Dominick Cruz and challenger Demetrious Johnson, while Heavyweight strikers Stefan Struve and Pat Barry will go head to head in the co-main event. Also featured will be a Welterweight showdown between top contenders Anthony Johnson and Charlie Brenneman and a Lightweight rematch pitting Matt Wiman against Mac Danzig.
Below are highlights from today's UFC on Versus 6: Cruz vs. Johnson Pre-Fight Press Conference (via MMAMania.com):
• I'm not going out there to defend anything. I'm going out there to win something new when I fight for the title. I don't own anything. This will be like my first time winning it.
• Every fight I try to bring something new and I can change up depending on who I fight. I have a significant reach advantage over him and I plan on keeping the fight where I want it.
• I think he's the champion and I think he's the best of the best of the weight class. On Saturday night I'm coming with a lot of fire and I'm gonna bring the fight.
• All the other opponents that he's faced are great fighters but I bring different tools. You'll have to tune in on Saturday night to watch it. I've prepared myself to win.
• I've been doing my camp in Holland. I'm fighting K-1 level kickboxers like Daniel Ghita in preparation.
• I'll block a Pat Barry head kick with my shin (laughs)
• In MMA, we've got to be able to do everything. We've got to be able to defend on the ground and attack on the ground. Stefan could be able to submit me off his back while I'm standing.
• I've been working with a lot of top wrestlers that can grapple at Death Clutch. Do I plan on going to the ground? I don't plan on going to the ground ever. I could slip and fall and put myself on the ground but I don't want to.
• Charlie, when he fought Rick Story, he did a great job and I didn't know he could wrestle that good. The only fight I'd seen of him before was against Johny Hendricks and he was doing good in that fight before he got caught. He's a very talented fighter.
• The weight is coming off fine. I feel great. It was the best training camp I've ever had. No worries or complaints.
• When it comes to go-time, it's one of those things where we revert back to where we're comfortable. What I do in this fight depends what he throws at me. I'm prepared for every aspect of it.
• After the success of my last fight, it didn't change my training but me personally, I hold myself to a higher standard now. I did get some good time in the city at Renzo Gracie's. It's not necessarily I did new stuff, I did more of what I've been doing.