UFC on Fox Conference Call: Cain and JDS ready to "Throwdown"Posted on November 2, 2011, 02:08 PM by Joey Santosus
A Heavyweight title clash between division Champion Cain Velasquez and challenger Junior dos Santos will headline the stacked UFC on Fox fight-card, set to take place November 12th from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. Also featured will be a Lightweight showdown between top contenders Clay Guida and Ben Henderson, as well as a Featherweight bout pitting Dustin Poirier against Pablo Garza.
Below are highlights from today's UFC on Fox Media Conference Call, which included Dana White, as well as headliners Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos (via MMAMania.com):
• There's gonna be a lot of breaking down the fighter, features going backstage. The first time we've ever done this, an interview with the guys before they come out. It's a work in progress. We've been working hard on this thing, man. We've been working hard on figuring this thing out. The major changes to our production won't start until January.
• Here's the thing, we've been doing this for over 10 years now. The day of the event, we rehearse the thing like we've never done it before. On Saturday, we'll be rehearsing and rehearsing and rehearsing. We'll be adding new things to this FOX show and we'll begin rehearsing on Thursday most likely. We'll be using FOX's model on how they handle and cover sports and our model on how we handle fights.
• Mixed martial arts, kids are growing up taking it and it's spreading all over the world. There's literally not a country on the map that we couldn't get a fighter from. I made the announcement last week about The Ultimate Fighter Brazil and the amount of talent that they'll bring to us is ridiculous. To get all these countries rolling at the same time and have a winner and do a world cup where each country's champion faces off against each other. That's my dream.
• I've been treating this like any other fight that I had. I don't think about what's going on on the outside. I think about what's going on in the gym and just studying my opponent. I don't think about the magnitude of the fight, I just focus on the training and the fight itself.
• This is a great opportunity, just for the UFC to choose our fight to headline. November 12th is a great honor. I'm hoping to make it an exciting fight for the fans. Dos Santos is a great opponent and we're gonna go out there and throw down. That's pretty much it and fans will love to see that.
Junior dos Santos
• Everything has happened very fast for me so I didn't have much time to think and doubt. I just gave 100 percent so I've just worked very hard. I just believe if you apply yourself and do your best, good things happen to you. I just started training mixed martial arts and jiu-jitsu six years ago and now I'll be fighting for the UFC title. I've applied myself and that's what got me here.
• I've been doing two sparring sessions a week for six rounds each plus my physical conditioning has been very good. I will be ready for five rounds but personally I think this fight will not last five rounds. I know Cain's been out for a while but he's a great fighter. I don't want to fight an injured Cain Velasquez, I want the best Cain Velasquez. I look forward to meeting him at his best, that's the guy I want to fight.
Further Reading: UFC on FOX: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos Primetime (Full Video)
Photo: Scott Hirano