UFC on Fox 3 Press Conference: Diaz, Miller look to make their case for a title shotPosted on March 6, 2012, 06:25 PM by Joey Santosus
UFC President Dana White, alongside the majority of the event's main card fighters, were in New York today to attend a special UFC on Fox 3 Pre-Fight Press Conference. Set to take place May 5th from the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey, the stacked card will be headlined by a Lightweight showdown between top contenders Nate Diaz and Jim Miller, while former Welterweight title challenger Josh Koscheck goes head to head with Johny Hendricks in the co-main event. Also featured will be Middleweight submission specialist Rousimar Palhares taking on Alan Belcher and Pat Barry meets fellow heavy-handed Heavyweight Lavar Johnson.
UFC on Fox 3: Diaz vs. Miller Press Conference Highlights (via MMAMania.com):
• I thought the winner of this fight will get a title shot. We'll see what happens.
• I think both Ben and Frankie did really good. It was a good fight. That's it.
• The guys who run around and hold on for three or five rounds, it'll be great to have someone who comes in there and fights. It's the fighting championship and hopefully it happens all the time.
• I think Gilbert Melendez deserves to be the champion right now but they're keeping him in Strikeforce. If he comes over, he's gonna do his thing and I'll do mine. I think he should be champion right now.
• Nate and I have proved that we're the top guys in the division. I personally don't feel that Pettis' victory over Stephens and the knockout over Lauzon are a legitimate title run. For either of me and Diaz, a win will put us in the picture.
• There are no plans going into it. He's a very well rounded guy and looked great in that fight but I'm a different fighter than Cerrone. I'm going to try to make it my fight when I get in there. I'm really fired up and I have a ton of respect for him. His whole camp has great guys so I know who he's training with every day. I'm looking to come in the best I've ever been.
• I'm super excited. We're both dangerous guys and we come in to fight hard. There's like 10 sub or fight of the nights between us. The five rounders used to be only for title fights but now you've got the main eventers going 25 minutes.
• I'm no stepping stone. This fight will help me get on my run again and Johny Hendricks won't win this fight.
• I really couldn't judge how good he is. The fight was short. I watched the fight and it looked like he threw a lot of punches with his eyes closed.
• This fight excites me. It's kind of like the pride of wrestling. He was a two-time champ in NCAA. I can respect that because I know how hard it is to win the NCAA title. I'm in a new place right now and I've got a new base camp for me.Things are looking up.
• This is just another stepping stone. My last fight doesn't matter. I just have to get better and put on a fight for you guys.
• If you really watch it, watch where my eyes were. He threw a jab and I threw my left hand. My left hand's a little more powerful than a jab.
• Everything led up to that, all my fights before that. Getting my game-planning down to a science and my weight cut down to a science. It was silly not to be excited to have that fight and now I've got Josh Koscheck and that's another exciting fight for me. I can't wait to put on a great show for the fans.