UFC on Fox 2 Press Conference: Chael Sonnen says FOX found the "real" American IdolPosted on December 7, 2011, 02:32 PM by Joey Santosus
UFC President Dana White, alongside the event's main card line-up, were in attendance today at The United Center in Chicago, Illinois for a special UFC on Fox 2 Press Conference. The stacked "triple-header" will be headlined by a Light Heavyweight showdown between perennial contender "Suga" Rashad Evans and "Mr. Wonderful" Phil Davis, while top Middleweights Chael Sonnen and Mark Munoz will go head to head in the co-main event. Also featured will be a second 185-pound clash pitting Michael Bisping against Demian Maia.
UFC on Fox 2: Evans vs. Davis Press Conference Highlights (via MMAMania.com):
• He's a fighter that has some strengths that I have as far as wrestling. When you go into a fight, you never know truly until you get in there. What I perceive as threats right now might not be there when I get into the cage. He's pretty explosive with quick wrestling and he goes for it. I have to be ready.
• To fight Machida would be good to redeem my loss, but with Jon Jones, we've got a personal beef. I want to put my hands on him bad. Every time he opens his mouth man.
• It's my turn to spoil his fun and that's what I'm going to do... I'm not concerned about ring rust at all. I was off and I was training as much as I can on a bum knee and once I was able to train, I'm not concerned about anything at all.
• Where I lack experience, I make up for it by being a champion at heart. I know how to get it done.
• Mark's explanation of heat of the moment is nice, but it was a calculated and premeditated event. I assure you on January 20th, I will be ready. It will be one more on the win column and one more for the bad guy.
• I would imagine that Munoz is the best wrestler I've fought. He's certainly the most decorated. I'm not a wrestler either. I'm a gangster from the mean streets of West Lynn Oregon. Most of these fighters would thank FOX, I would say FOX, you're welcome. You've been telling people for years you've had the American Idol and now you finally do.
• I don't plan for any of that stuff. I hear guys talk about game-plans and footwork and strategy with their coaches and their gold teeth and their 8th grade education. Mark Munoz is a good guy and I like him, but he's going to find out that you never p--- off a gangster.
• When we wrestled in college, Chael, in the heat of the battle, he got a kneebar and cranked on it a bit. That's what happens sometimes and the ref is there to stop it. It's water underneath the bridge now. Chael has fought for a very long time and he's a great fighter. He's got awesome MMA wrestling and I've got great wrestling so you're definitely gonna see a lot of wrestling going on.
• Yes, I have trained with Anderson and hey, he's got the belt. I'm fighting Chael and we're friends. In order to get to the belt, I've got to fight Chael. I'm not gonna make it more than what it is. It's a competition. it's nothing personal and it's business. I want to become a world champ.
• Don't be fooled, Chael Sonnen is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.
• It was a three round a-- kicking (against Mayhem Miller) is what it was. Dana asked me to do the fight and why wouldn't I take this fight? I'm in shape, I'm on weight and I had a long layoff doing the Ultimate Fighter and I'm in my prime. Demian Maia is a good opponent for me?
• When I started in the UFC, I submitted five fights in a row and whenever I get a fight to the ground, people expect submissions. I fight every time against tougher and tougher guys. I took time learning more boxing and wrestling. I've been in Chicago training wrestling more. I can't just train jiu-jitsu anymore, I need to train MMA. I think it will come back.