Nick Diaz is more in danger of "losing his teeth" against Condit than GSPPosted on February 1, 2012, 05:52 PM by Anton Gurevich
UFC President Dana White, alongside the majority of Saturday's main card competitors, was in attendance today at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada for the UFC 143 Pre-Fight Press Conference. The stacked Super Bowl weekend line-up will be headlined by a Welterweight interim title clash between top contenders Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit, while TUF 10 winner Roy Nelson takes on Fabricio Werdum in the co-main event. Also featured will be former 170-pound title challenger, Josh Koscheck, going head to head with Mike Pierce, and rising Bantamweight prospect Renan Barao faces Scott Jorgensen.
UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit Pre-Fight Press Conference Highlights:
• I think (Condit) is more dangerous fighter. You're more in danger of losing a decision to Georges St. Pierre, but I think you're more in danger of losing your teeth when you're fighting Carlos Condit.
• I think it makes me sick. This is Carlos' time to be here and be a part of this main event, and half of this (Primetime) show is built up around me fighting GSP. I'm fighting Carlos Condit.
• I'm pretty mentally set. I think that if anything (doing media) taxes your physical preparation. Just dealing with these people and the press. It's a little extra work, but I'm pretty much the same always.
• I don't mind doing the Primetime show or extra press, as long as it's done right and it's not generic. From what I've seen, it looks great and people seem to like it. So, I'm happy with it.
• Well, I've got a huge task in Nick Diaz, and to focus on anything other than that would be a mistake. So, I've just been trying to concentrate on the matter at hand, which is beating Nick.
• I feel like they're planning that (GSP vs. Diaz) fight before this one has even happened. That's fine because I have the opportunity to get in there and spoil those plans.
• I expect a war. Honestly, Nick is probably the toughest dude that I've ever fought. He's well-rounded, and has a dynamic skill-set. He's pretty similar to me, we both come to fight. No matter who wins between him and myself, the fans are going to win.
• I talked to Lorenzo (Fertitta) about a month and a half ago, I think that's when we all found out about the Strikeforce guys coming over. I just want to fight the best in the world. Fabricio dethroned Fedor (Emelianenko), who was undefeated for ten years, and then out-struck (Alistair) Overeem, the best K-1 striker in the world. So, I think I've got my handsful on Saturday.
• When Fabricio fought Overeem, he actually beat him in the stand-up. He was just trying to lure him to the ground to tap him out. But, if he would have just kept it standing, I think Fabricio would have beaten Overeem and would probably be fighting Junior dos Santos for the title now.
• It feels great. I'm very happy to be back with the UFC guys. I'll show on Saturday night that I'm a good fighter and I thank Dana White for that opportunity.
• For sure, I am motivated. Before, there were a lot of good guys in Strikeforce, and in the UFC too. But, now everyone is in the same division here to show who is the best in the world.
• Roy Nelson is a tough guy, and he has a lot of knockouts. I know he has strong hands, but I have strong hands too. I will have a good gameplan on Saturday. ... I am very happy with my training camp.
• I don't think I'm overlooked. I've proven it before, I just got to win fights and work my way back up there. I'm fighting Mike Pierce on Saturday and that's all I'm really focused on. I don't really pay attention to the media and what they're doing on the internet.
• I think that after the Matt Hughes fight, everyone was tied up. So, there was really nobody in the division that really stood out, and I just want to take big fights. To be able to go up and fight some of those guys (at Middleweight) would be an honor. I'm here to fight anybody, and I want to fight the best guys. But, I think that 170 just got interesting now. With GSP being out, this whole mix up (with Diaz and Condit), Nick coming back into the mix, etc. It makes me focus on another title run.
• I'm not focused on what's going on with those three (GSP, Diaz, Condit). I'm just focused on Saturday. I've got Josh Koscheck and that's the only thing on my mind.
• I've been trying to fight my way back to the top and I finally got my opportunity. With GSP being out, I asked to fight Josh Koscheck and I got it. I'm just happy to be back on the main card and I'm looking forward to doing my thing on Saturday.