UFC 141 Conference Call: Brock Lesnar, Alistair Overeem expecting a short fight on Dec. 30thPosted on December 19, 2011, 02:25 PM by Joey Santosus
A Heavyweight showdown pitting former UFC Champion Brock Lesnar against former Strikeforce Champion Alistair Overeem will headline the stacked UFC 141 fight card, set to take place Friday, December 30th from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Also featured will be a Lightweight clash between Donald Cerrone and Nate Diaz in the co-main event, and a Welterweight tilt between former title challenger Jon Fitch and Jonny Hendricks.
Below are highlights from today's UFC 141 Conference Call, which featured headliners Brock Lesnar and Alistair Overeem:
• I've been dealing with the same (steroid) accusations (as Overeem) my whole life. Being part of the spotlight and with the internet, social media, and everything now days, everybody knows everything. It's part of the lifestyle, it comes with the territory. I've been used to it for many years now. I haven't even following anything that's been going on with Alistair.
• I've had plenty of time to train, and now being healthy and once again motivated, I've been able to work on a lot of different things. This is a sport that you have to evolve in and you have to get better if you're going to stay on top in this organization.
• This is a Heavyweight fight. We're both going in to finish this fight. I don't foresee it going five rounds.
• Under all of the circumstance I've gone through, this is an opportunity that not too many people get. So, I'm excited about (being in title contention), absolutely.
• Everybody has the right to ask whatever they want and I have a right to respond or ignore. I'm very busy with my career, training, my team, PR, doing interviews. I simply do not have time to get into these allegations. Usually they're over the internet, I don't even know these people.
• I'm prepared for the five rounds, I've been going five rounds for what seems like forever now. But, looking at the type of fighters that we are, we're aggressive. We are not the type of guys that back up. I don't see it really going past the first or the second round. Second round maximum.
• I am very happy with the opportunity that I've got fighting Brock. It's a dream fight for myself and the fans. Like Brock said, you shouldn't overlook your opponents. But, style-wise, I think me and Junior dos Santos would be striker vs striker, and I should have the upper-hand. He's clever, he's fast and I'm looking forward to fighting him after Brock.
Outer Photo: CombatLifestyle.com