UFC 134: Rio Press Conference HighlightsPosted on June 16, 2011, 03:08 PM by Joey Santosus
Dana White, alongside a majority of the event's main card competitors, were in attendance today for a special press conference in Brazil ahead of the upcoming UFC 134: Rio card, set to take place August 27th from the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The card, which features an all star line-up of native talent, will be headlined by Middleweight Champion Anderson "The Spider" Silva putting his title on the line against perennial contender and the last man to claim a victory over him, Yushin "Thunder" Okami. Former Light Heavyweight champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua looks to avenge his loss against Forrest Griffin in the co-main event, while Heavyweight veteran Antonio "Rodrigo" Nogueira looks to derail the rise of TUF 10 finalist Brendan Schaub. Also scheduled, Lightweight strikers Edson Barboza and Ross Pearson battle it out for a chance to move up in the promotion's most crowded division and the heavy-handed Luiz Cane takes on Stanislav Nedkov.
UFC 134: Rio Press Conference Highlights (via MMAMania.com):
• Anderson Silva is the greatest mixed martial artist ever. Period.
• Yushin Okami "dominated" Nate Marquardt to become the number one contender.
• The winner of the Brendan Schaub and "Big Nog" fight will be "in the mix" in the heavyweight division
• This is the Brazilian soccer team against the world, basically. I'm very happy to be in Brazil. It's more motivation and I'll give my best to represent my country and my Brazilian fans as well.
• Just to correct you, I did not lose (to Yushin Okami).
• I'm honored to fight Shogun down here. I know Shogun wasn't 100% the first time we fought. He's changed a lot, that was his first fight in the UFC. Now, this is my first fight in Rio so the advantages that I had in the first one, he'll have in the second one so it all works out.
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
• I've always fought against the tough foreign crowd and it will be a great thing to fight in Brazil for the first time. I think that my team is going to be fighting on the same night and I can't miss an opportunity to fight in Brazil. I dedicated myself in physical therapy coming from three surgeries on my knees and on my hip. I did everything to make sure I could fight here.
• I think I have the advantage on the feet and I'm confident on the ground against him. I like to beat guys at their own game and I have a tremendous passion for Brazilian jiu-jitsu.