UFC 129: St. Pierre vs. Shields Press Conference HighlightsPosted on February 8, 2011, 02:30 PM by Joey Santosus
UFC President Dana White and Canadian Director of Operations Tom Wright hosted a press conference in Toronto today ahead of the promotion's UFC 129: St. Pierre vs. Shields event. Joining them was Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre and Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo, alongside current number one contenders Jake Shields and Mark Hominick. UFC 129 is set for April 30th from the Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and will feature Georges St. Pierre defending his title for the sixth time against Jake Shields, while Canada's own Mark Hominick will look to dethrone Jose Aldo in what will be the Brazilian's promotional debut.
While both White and Wright promised a unique viewing experience for fans who plan to be in attendance for the event on April 30th, they remained tight-lipped about many of the details. "We're going to do things in this arena that we've never done before," White explained. Wright did, however, reveal that there would be as many as eight screens erected for those seated in the upper levels. Also made available to fans interested in purchasing tickets is a 3D rendering of the Rogers Centre that will allow them to test their view from different seating arrangements.
Below are highlights from today's Press-Conference:
• Everyone wants to talk about the GSP vs. Silva fight, well he's gotta beat Jake Shields first. Its a fantasy fight right now.
• (Shields) is so stealth. People have been counting this guy out forever, I admit me two - probably his own training camp didn't think he was going to win that fight and not only did he beat Dan Henderson, he dominated him. This guy is a force.
• If you look at our top three superstars in the UFC, I'd say that GSP is number one. This guy is a monster superstar all over the world.
• Anybody who is a fan of MMA, they're not bloodthirsty, they're a fan of the art. These guys are so talented. I think that MMA is the sport that all other sports aspire to be.
• In the 20 years there has never been a death or serious injury - this sports very safe. When u look at boxing, a guy gets knocked out and has ten seconds to get back up and get knocked unconscious again.
• The guys that are up here deserve to be here. They all earned the right to be here.
Georges St. Pierre
• I don't even think about (fighting Silva) right now. I never thought about it. I always live in the present moment, my biggest threat is Jake Shields - I would be a fool to look past Jake Shields.
• I am glad the UFC brought (Shields) in because he is the number one guy to challenge for my title.
• Jake is different from all the guys I have fought, like I am different from all the guys Jake fought. What makes him dangerous is he is a clever guy.
• I fight with emotion, but I don't fight with anger. I could be angry, but I'm not going to fight with anger because when you fight with anger you can make mistakes.
• I'm training not because I have a fight coming up, I'm training because its my lifestyle - I always train.
• My mentality is when I go to bed at night, I know I am a better mixed martial artist when I wake up in the morning.
• Against Dan Hardy, I made a technical mistake. If I had done it right I would have broke a bone, but I made a mistake. With Koscheck, I broke his orbital bone, the fight could have been stopped.
• I've been training with Roger Gracie a lot lately for improving Jiu-Jitsu, because Jake Shields is a very accomplished athlete in Jiu-Jitsu. But fighting is different from Jiu-Jitsu competition - I'm not afraid to go on the ground with Jake Shields.
• (St. Pierre and Silva) have both been so dominant in the UFC that people are talking about it, but I think its a mistake to overlook me because I plan on coming out and spoiling that fight.
• I'm going to be a completely different fighter then when I fought Martin Kampmann.
• I think this fight will be mostly based off skill, but there's going to be emotion as well. But I think we are definitely fighters who fight with skill.
• GSP is probably my toughest fight ever.
• I train year round. I think most of the top fighters now train year round. Ive been training since Martin Kampmann.
• I love this role, I like getting looked passed. Everyone is talking about GSP this and GSP that, I plan on going out there and dethroning his title run.