Lorenzo Fertitta Q&A: Velasquez vs. Mir, Ortiz vs. Griffin III in the worksPosted on February 10, 2012, 10:43 AM by Joey Santosus
Quite active on Twitter last night was UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta, who in addition to answering on several fan questions, confirmed multiple high-profile match-ups planned for 2012.
Opening the floor to questions from his 76,000-plus followers (@lorenzofertitta), Fertitta provided information on a variety of topics, including plans to book Cain Velasquez vs. Frank Mir, Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin III, and a target date for the Heavyweight title clash between Junior dos Santos and Alistair Overeem.
According to Fertitta, the highly anticipated Heavyweight showdown between division champion dos Santos and top contender Overeem is currently in the works for Memorial Day weeked in Las Vegas.
Awaiting the winner of that match-up could possibly be the fighter who emerges victorious from Velasquez vs. Mir. With the AKA product just one bout removed from losing the strap to dos Santos and Mir currently riding a three-fight win streak, it's a match that may very likely serve as a title eliminator.
Ortiz, meanwhile, has been vocal about his intentions to hang-up the gloves after making one final octagon appearance. It now appears he will get his wish in the form of a rubber-match with Forrest Griffin. Currently split 1-1 after their first two encounters, each fighter has picked up a split decision victory over the other. Ortiz came out on top back in 2006, while Griffin got the nod in 2009.
In addition to the aforementioned match-ups, below are highlights from Fertitta's late night Q&A:
• Described a potential "superfight" between Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar and Featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo as a "good idea."
• In response to Diaz's failed drug test, he admitted to being "a sap for real fighters," and indicated that the former Strikeforce champ would not be released. "Really like the kid just needs to get it together," said Fertitta.
• Confimed Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber III for July 7th in Las Vegas. Added that Rich Franklin's return is also possible for this event.
• Carlos Condit's next fight is yet to be determined. Unsure whether or not he will defend the interim Welterweight title or await GSP's return.
• Was complimentary of UFC 143 "KO of the Night" winner, Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson.
• Expressed interest in signing Bellator Middleweights Hector Lombard and Alexander Shlemenko.
• Stated that the UFC would still possibly sign Fedor Emelianenko for the right price.
• Responding to a potential "superfight" between Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva and Light Heavyweight champ Jon "Bones" Jones, Fertitta said, "Maybe."
Photo: Francis Specker