Dana White: Winner of Urijah Faber vs. Brian Bowles next in line for Bantamweight title shotPosted on July 23, 2011, 06:24 PM by Joey Santosus
It appears top Bantamweight contender Urijah Faber, fresh off of his unanimous decision loss against division Champion Dominick Cruz at UFC 132, once again finds himself in line for a title shot. That's according to UFC President Dana White, who told ESPN.com that the winner of the upcoming clash between "The California Kid" and Brian Bowles at UFC 139 will be named number one contender.
"Both Urijah and Bowles lost to Cruz. The winner of their fight will earn a rematch," said White. "Johnson is 9-1, on a four-fight win streak and beat former (Bantamweight) champ (Miguel) Torres in his last fight.
Both Faber and Bowles have attempted and failed to dethrone the champ, who will first meet surging contender Demetrious Johnson in October. Though Faber admits he would have preferred an immediate rubber match with Cruz, he says he doesn't mind the extra motivation that facing a fighter like Bowles provides.
"I definitely want the rematch with Cruz," Faber explained. "It's a fight that needs to happen. But I'm fine with having another fight going into it. It definitely gives me extra motivation. Beating Brian Bowles is just one step closer to getting that belt. I'm sure Brian Bowles is motivated himself to get another shot."
Urijah Faber is currently the only fighter to ever take a victory over Dominick Cruz, submitting the Alliance MMA fighter just over a minute into the opening round of the champ's WEC debut. The two met again earlier this month, with Cruz emerging victorious following a closely contested five-round war. So what do you think LowKick'ers? Will we see a third installment anytime soon, or will Brian Bowles and/or Demetrious Johnson ruin Faber's plans?
Props to MMAMania.com