Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos to headline UFC on Fox DebutPosted on September 2, 2011, 12:44 PM by Joey Santosus
UFC President Dana White made his highly anticipated announcement today, revealing the monumental headlining bout for the promotion's debut fight on the FOX network. After much speculation, White jumped right into it, announcing that the match-up contested would be for the most prestigious Championship in all of sports: The Heavyweight Title.
Current Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez and challenger Junior dos Santos will go head to head in a five-round affair on
November 12th from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California and will be featured LIVE on the FOX network.
Following the announcement, White opened for questions.
• This Heavyweight match-up is going to be a great fight!
• We had so many choices. Obviously, do you go with the pound for pound best fighter? Timing is a big issue, Anderson Silva is coming off a big fight. We were kicking a lot of things around, but the no-brainer was right in front of us: The Heavyweight Championship.
• The San Jose card is still going on.
• We're working on Brazil. You know how successful that card was.
• One fight will be featured. One hour show, five-round Championship fight.
• Obviously these guys were supposed to be on pay-per-view, but for these guys to take the fight they are being paid very well. They're more than happy to take the fight. Both guys were so excited to be fighting on the first FOX card.
• The Heavyweight title is the most prestigious title in sports. Junior dos Santos has great takedown defense. Both guys have great power, you saw what Cain was able to do to Brock Lesnar. Cain's gameplan will probably be to take JDS down, if he can its going to be interesting because we've never seen JDS there. He's a Nogueira black-belt, but he's never had to implement it.
• Tickets on sale Sept. 16
• We wanted to go out with our best foot forward. The way we are looking at this thing, there are going to be millions of people tuning-in that have never seen it before.
• We are going to need some time to set up the whole UFC on FOX thing. That's why it was done this way.
• The fans won't notice a difference, it will be just like any other pay-per-view.
• Undercard fights will air somewhere, not figured out yet.
• Having a free fight on FOX leading into a pay-per-view the next week sure doesn't "suck."
• Still negotiating where the fight is going to be shown in the U.K. We would love to be with FOX over in the U.K. Once the current deal expires, we'll figure out that piece of the puzzle.
• What will be done if the fight ends in the first round is still "a work in progress." But we're talking about how to handle that. What we'll probably do is fill out the rest of the night with a replay of the fight or a "best of the night" depending on how much time we have left.
• Working on San Jose card fights now.
• It was the easiest conversation I've ever had yanking guys off pay-per-view to be on television. They couldn't be more excited, they know what this means for the UFC, the sport, and their careers.
• There will be a mini-pregame show before the fight. (Fox) is very happy with the way the UFC does production, so we'll leave well enough alone.
• It will be ala Superbowl red carpet with a huge event outside.
• We're not mainstream, FOX is giving us the opportunity to go mainstream. It's not time to pat ourselves on the back, its time to work harder than ever.
• It is going to be the event of all events.
• Cain Velasquez is trending World-Wide on Twitter right now.
• When is the last time you saw either Cain Velasquez or Junior dos Santos in a boring fight? I am literally betting everything that's not going to happen.
• Kimbo Slice did 5 Million viewers on The Ultimate Fighter. I'm expecting us to blow that out of the water.
• Brock Lesnar retirement rumors are ridiculous and completely untrue. He's 100%
• Junior dos Santos' manager has text me 57,000 times during this call. That's how excited they are.
• This is our Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar. I have no doubt these guys will deliver.