Anderson Silva is out until February or March 2011Posted on August 10, 2010, 07:39 AM by Anton Gurevich
Brazilian website TATAME.com quotes Anderson Silva's BJJ coach Ramon Lemos, who says that the UFC Middleweight Champion will be out due to ribs injury until February 2011. Silva severely damaged his ribs before and during the fight against Chael Sonnen at the main event of UFC 117, and will take a considerably long time off to heal-up:
“After the first round he said he broke his ribs. He said told me he could not breath because of the rib. I told him to forget the rib and work the movement of legs and he would get the triangle… After the fight he went to the hospital and did an x-ray and the doctor said he did not break it, it was just a crack,” he said.
Anderson is expected to return in February or March. We have not talked, but he has to take care of injuries, he fought twice last year and had an operation on his elbow. This year he made two more fights and now with this rib injury ... He is no longer a boy, he is 35 years old.”
The report almost certainly ensures that Vitor Belfort will not get an immediate shot at Silva's Middleweight title. If Belfort actually fights Silva in February without getting a fight in between, it will be one year and a half since his 195-pound Catchweight fight against Rich Franklin at UFC 103. Belfort was originally scheduled to square off against "The Spider" at UFC 108 last February, but the fight was postponed due to UFC 112 Silva's elbow injury. Then it was Belfort who could not compete, after undergoing an urgent surgery on his shoulder.