Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva Media Conference Call HighlightsPosted on January 13, 2011, 08:39 PM by Joey Santosus
Mixed Martial Arts legend Fedor Emelianenko and Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva will headline the stacked Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva fight card, set to take place February 12th from the Izod Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The event will kick-off the promotion's highly anticipated Heavyweight Grand Prix Tournament and will also feature Andrei Arlovski and Sergei Kharitonov battling it out in the co-main event.
Below are highlights from Thursday's Media Conference Call, featuring quotes from both Fedor Emelianenko and Antonio Silva:
- "I made an error in my previous fight...but nothing has changed inside of me. I train harder and hope to do better in my next fight."
- I'm very proud to be in the tournament. Very proud to represent my country.
- I'm happy to fight anyone. Silva is a very tough opponent. We've crossed paths in locker rooms. He's always been very cordial.
- This tournament is just as good or better than the Pride tournaments.
- I wouldn't mind training with someone like Shane Carwin, but I will probably be training in Russia.
- If people think they've found my biggest weakness, let them try to exploit it.
- "Fedor is a legend. To be a legend, you must beat a legend & I'm ready to prove that I'm the #1 heavyweight in the world!"
- For me, fighting Fedor is the final.
- Werdum showed Fedor's weakest aspect is rolling on the ground.
- "I know I can beat him…at the right time God gave me the right fight"
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker took the opportunity to address many of the unanswered questions regarding the Heavyweight Tournament rules and regulations.
- The only five-round fight will be the final.
- The Strikeforce heavyweight championship will not be on the line.
- If any fight is ruled a draw, a "fourth judge" will determine who advances.
- If a fighter cannot continue in the tournament, a five-person tournament committee will determine a replacement from reserve bouts and eliminated fighters.
This audio is available below: