Quick Quote: Paul Daley says the Strikeforce Title will give him "more bargaining power" with ZUFFAPosted on March 29, 2011, 11:10 PM by Joey Santosus
"What we were trying to do is assure we had security away from the Zuffa people prior to the fight. But the truth be told, when I am the Strikeforce champion, I'll have even more bargaining power, and it will be even more of a kick to the teeth of the guys that don't like me in the organization. To negotiate before the fight would show a lack of confidence in myself, and I'm very confident I'm going to beat Nick Diaz. Once a champion, I have more power to negotiate. - For more from Paul Daley, visit MMAFighting.com
Following ZUFFA's purchase of Strikeforce, Paul Daley wasted little time before voicing his displeasure with working under his former bosses. Once considered a top contender in the UFC Welterweight division, Daley was permanently banned from the promotion for striking Josh Koscheck after the final bell of their UFC 113 match had sounded. Upon hearing news of the acquisition, the Brit publicly threatened to pull out of his upcoming title fight with Nick Diaz, which is scheduled to headline Strikeforce's April 9th card in San Diego. Though he has since signed the bout agreement (last week), it appears Daley is more focused on dethroning the champ than mending any broken relationships.
Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley is set to take place April 9th from the Valley View Casino Center in San Diego, California. The Welterweight title clash between Diaz and Daley will headline the stacked card, while the co-main event will feature Lightweight Champion Gilbert Melendez going head to head with Japanese stand-out Tatsuya Kawajiri.