Dana White confirms Alistair Overeem's removal from Strikeforce Heavyweight GPPosted on July 18, 2011, 09:45 PM by Joey Santosus
UFC President Dana White has confirmed Alistair Overeem's removal from the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix, but says the champ will remain under contract with the organization.
White verified the reports with MMAJunkie.com, explaining that Overeem will not be released and should be expected to return to action once his broken toe has healed.
"Sept. 10th was the date Showtime wants us to go, so it's the date we've got to go," White said. "It's unfortunate that Alistair is unavailable, but situations like this are why there are alternates in the tournament."
Overeem was considered an early favorite heading into the tournament and defeated Fabricio Werdum via unanimous decision to secure his place in the semifinals, where he was expected to square off with Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva later this year.
Stepping in to replace "The Reem" will reportedly be rapidly rising prospect Daniel Cormier, who picked up his eighth consecutive victory last month, defeating veteran Jeff Monson in a lopsided three-round affair. The two-time Olympic wrestler will face his toughest test to date in Silva, but should pose some interesting problems for the six-foot-four Brazilian.
While the Septermber 10th date has been confirmed by Strikeforce officials, no venue has been announced for the still untitled event.
Photo: UFC President Dana White at a post-fight press conference at UFC 100 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center on July 11, 2009 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Francis Specker